Toggle Menu Toggle Menu Search SEARCH
Accidents - High Profile


*These are based on actual media articles that were redacted and summarized.

Country singer Craig Morgan’s son missing after boating accident

Country music singer Craig Morgan’s son is missing after a boating accident. Morgan’s 19-year-old son, Jerry Greer, remains missing. Greer disappeared after a tubing accident on the Tennessee River over the weekend. According to officials, the teen was tubing with a friend when the two collided. Greer went under and did not resurface. Both were wearing life jackets. With over 12 hours since the incident was reported, officials now are calling it a recovery mission. The family releasing a statement in part, saying they are, “Grateful for everyone’s support and prayers and requests privacy during this difficult time.”

UPDATE: The body of the teenage son of country music star Craig Morgan has been recovered from Kentucky Lake following a tubing accident. Jerry Greer, 19, went missing Sunday afternoon after a boating accident near Mason’s Boat Dock and Marina in Humphreys County, according to WSMV.

Greer had been tubing on the Tennessee River with a friend when they collided and both fell in the water at 4pm on Sunday. Officials do not believe alcohol was a factor.

‘The Humphreys County Sheriff’s Department recovered his body this evening after a search that began Sunday following a boating accident on Kentucky Lake in Tennessee.’

Former athlete paralyzed after weekend boating incident

 A man landed in the hospital after a boating accident when he dove head first into shallow water. Doctors have told Brooks Abel’s family he may never walk again.

Through pictures, we get a glimpse of the story of a 6-foot-5 athlete, a former Kentwood High School and Central Washington University football player, a man friends and family call larger than life. “He’s a big teddy bear and he takes care of all of us; he’s big brother,” said a friend of Abel.

But Abel’s size and strength couldn’t protect him from what happened on Crescent Bar near Vantage on Sunday when friends say a day of fun turned tragic after Brooks dove head first into water more shallow than he anticipated. Abel’s sister said her brother is now at Harborview Medical Center, paralyzed from the chest down.

Police: Man steals, crashes boat belonging to hunter who killed Cecil the lion

A stolen boat that crashed off of Marco Island in the Gulf of Mexico last weekend belongs to the Minnesota dentist who sparked international fury after killing Cecil the lion last summer at a national park in Africa, police said.

Andrew Derwin, 26, of Marco Island was arrested Tuesday on a felony grand theft charge. Police said he stole and crashed a boat belonging to Walter Palmer off Caxambas Pass on the southern end of Marco Island. Officials initially were called to reports of a boat crash at the Caxambas Park Marina on Sunday afternoon.

Marco Island Fire Rescue and Collier County EMS performed first aid on a passenger, Nicolas Stolinas, who suffered serious injuries when struck by the vessel’s propeller. Police said they soon learned the boat had been stolen and was registered to Palmer.

Derwin, Palmer’s neighbor, took the keys to the boat from the rear lanai of Palmer’s home Sunday, according to Marco Island police. A woman who watches over Palmer’s house told officials the Minnesota dentist left the keys on the lanai for a boat maintenance person to service the vessel. Palmer was supposed to let the woman know when to take the boat keys back inside the house. The boat is valued at $61,175.

Singer Craig Strickland missing, friend dead after hunting in storm

Country singer Craig Strickland and his friend set off to hunt ducks during a winter storm over the weekend. Days later, his friend is dead, and searchers are looking for Strickland in the lake where their boat purportedly overturned.

Strickland, a 29-year-old vocalist in the country rock band Backroad Anthem, and his friend, 22, were duck hunting at the lake Sunday, the Arkansas-based band said on its Facebook page, as a fierce winter weather system was hitting central portions of the country.

A search was launched later that day after relatives didn’t hear from them. State troopers found the friend’s body at the lake Monday morning. Their boat also was found; nightfall Tuesday caused the search for Strickland to be called off until Wednesday morning.

Toddler saved from overturned boat

A life jacket, determined rescuers and an unlikely pocket of air kept a boat accident from turning into tragedy over the weekend, according to the Police Department. A family of four was returning from dinner when their boat apparently struck power lines, causing the vessel to flip over and send the passengers, including two young children, plunging into the darkened waters.

Authorities responded quickly and rescuers located the two adults and one of the children from the capsized boat. The relief of rescue was short-lived as one of the boaters realized her 23-month-old daughter was still missing. She says she heard the anxious cries of the little girl, but she was nowhere to be found.

“We heard (her) crying and we couldn’t find her,” She said. “I jumped in the water and tried to search but couldn’t hear where the crying was coming from.” The family looked on in anguish as officers spent nearly an hour in the water looking for the toddler, according to police.

The family’s faith and the officers’ persistence was rewarded when two Officers located the little girl trapped underneath the overturned boat in an air pocket that had been created when the boat flipped over.  The toddler was still wearing the life jacket her parents placed on her when they set out on their trip. Her eyes filled with tears of gratitude as she thanked the rescuers for “saving our baby and saving our world.”

The little girl was in good condition after the rescue, according to police, and was taken along with her family to a local hospital for evaluation after the incident.